Huchuy Qosqo 2D/1N
Up to 8 people
Van, Train, Bus
The appeal of Huchuy Qosqo (Small Cusco) Trek is the combination of stunning Inca ruins, rural villages, magnificent snow-capped mountains, exotic vegetation and extraordinary ecological variety. The trail goes off the beaten track, over high passes of the Andes and through the Sacred Valley of the Incas with unforgettable views of incredible scenery, ending at one of the wonders of the world: Machu Picchu.
Day 1: Cusco – Tauca – Huchuy Qosqo – Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes
At 6am, we will start driving from your hotel to the small Village of Tauca (3,750m/12,303ft), the beginning of your trek. We will be on level terrain and the landscape will be that of typical Andean Valleys, rich in corn, potatoes, barley, quinoa and other Andean tubers. As you ascend towards the pass at (4,050m/13,287ft), the landscape begins to change dramatically to the classic of High Andean Savannah or Puna, with scant vegetation, mainly “ichu” or high altitude grass. The views of the Cordillera Vilcabamba peaks are spectacular; Veronica, Pitusiray, Chicon and San Juan snow peaks. Soon after the pass, you will start your descent toward the Huchuy Qosqo plains hiking along a path that leads to the Cauca Ravine, where you will be able to see archeological remains and wild crops, such as tarwi, and a large quantity of cactus.
You will walk downhill towards the Leon Punku ravine, where you will find remains of an Inca bridge and trail. This canyon boasts geological formations surrounded by majestic rocks and boulders that direct the river to Huchuy Qosqo at (3,650m/11,975ft). Huchuy Qosqo (Little Cuzco) is a noteworthy Inca complex. It boasts very fine stonework in a large Kallanka (rectangular Hall), some residential and defensive quarters and interesting two-story buildings in stone and adobe. Huchuy Qosqo is located on a plateau, surrounded by Inca agricultural terraces and allows superb views of the Vilcabamba range. Afterwards, we will go downhill to Lamay at (2,900m/9,514ft) where we will catch our transport to drive to Ollantaytambo, the place where we will continue by train to Aguas Calientes. Then, overnight in a hotel.
- Meals: Lunch & Dinner
- Hiking time: 7 hours
- Distance: 16kms/10 miles
- Accommodations: Hotel
Day 2: Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu – Cusco
This is the day you’ve been waiting for! We leave our hotel after a very early breakfast to take the bus for the journey up to Machu Picchu ruins. Once inside the citadel, there is a private 2 hour tour provided with plenty of free time for further exploring, taking photos and the option to climb Huayna Picchu, Machu Picchu Mountain or go up to the Sun Gate. On your 2.5 hours private tour, your guide will expertly direct you through the enigmatic ruins and its most important sites. You will see the Temple of the Sun, Temple of the Condor, Temple of Three Windows, Sun Dial, Quarry, the House of the Inka, the urban areas, agricultural terraces and many different types of architecture.
Then, we return back to Aguas Calientes, take a leisurely lunch. We take the Expedition train which departs at 14:55pm to Ollantaytambo with a private van connection to Cusco arriving at your hotel in the evening at about 7pm.
- Meal: Breakfast
- Entrance tickets: Machu Picchu
WHAT IS INCLUDED FOR HUCHUY QOSQO?
- Private transportation from and to your hotel.
- All meals as indicated in the itinerary.
- Professional bilingual guide (Spanish and English).
- Entrance fee to Huchuy Qosqo.
- Entrance fee to Machu Picchu.
- 2 Bus tickets from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu and return to Aguas Calientes.
- Hotel in Aguas Calientes.
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED FOR HUCHUY QOSQO 2D/1N?
- Entrance to Huayna Picchu.
- Entrance to Machu Picchu Mountain.
- Walking Poles.
- First breakfast and last lunch.
- Upgrade to Vistadome Train (Return only).
- Optional upgrade – Hotel.
- Optional Hotel upgrade.
- Upgrade to Vistadome train: $67 USD per person (Return Only).
- Entrance to Huayna Picchu –$75 USD.
- Entrance to Machu Picchu Mountain –$75 USD.
- Walking Poles – $15 USD.
- Single Supplement -$30 USD 2* for single travelers.
PRICE – $ 397 USD per person.
- 18 to 25 years old: $30 USD. Information required on student card: name of university, student name, photo of student, expiration date etc. A copy of the card at booking is required & government approval for discount.
- Under 18 years old: $30 USD. Please send us a copy of your passport at the time of booking.
- Under 11 years old: $40 USD. Please send us a copy of your passport at the time of booking.