Lares Trek 3D/2N
Up to 8 people
Van, Train, Bus
A good alternative to leave the conventional and visit one of the wonders of the world Machu Picchu enjoy this tour Lares Trek for 3 days and 2 nights.
Day 1: Cusco – Ollantaytambo – Patacancha – Chaullacocha – Chupani
We will the Lares Trek start early, departing from Cusco, from where we will drive to Ollantaytambo (2 hours drive). After a short break for last minute supplies itis about 1 hours drive up hill to Patacancha. In Patacancha, we will start hiking, gently uphill. We hike for about 4-5 hours, crossing a high pass (4200m) before reaching Chaullacocha.
We will have lunch in Chaullacocha before continuing on for another 1 – 1.5 hours to Chupani. Chupani is another weaving village. Your tour leader will provide more insights into. We will camp the night in Chupani where our professional chef will serve up delicious, hot, three course meals.
- Total hiking – 12km – 6 hrs
Day 2: Chupani – Lares Hot Springs
After a morning visit to the school, we will start climbing uphill on the Colquepata pass, approximately 4100m, and a strong climb straight up for about 2 hours. Though breathless and feeling the climb, we will go slow and be rewarded with truly spectacular views of the mountains and the achievement of reaching the pass will be amazing. From there its all downhill for about 3-4 hours, tough in itself due to the steep incline of the mountain but filled with interactions with the people that we meet along the way and amazing alpine scenery. We have lunch en route and pass through some very remote high settlements. Arrival in the Lares Valley is a relief after the high altiplano – its lush vegetation and pretty farmhouses are warm and welcoming. We will have a well deserved soak in the hot springs of Lares and after a refreshing soak willhead go to Ollantaytambo and take the train to Aguas Calientes – Machupicchu.
- Total hiking – 10km – 6 hrs
Day 3: Machu Picchu
Day Three is the most magical day because you will finally experience Machu Picchu. You will wake up early to catch one of the first buses (around 5:30 a.m.), for the 30 minute ride up to Machu Picchu. You will see the Sunrise over the ruins. Your guide will take you for an informative two hour tour. Afterwards, you will have time to explore on your own and hike Huayna Picchu if you choose to (this is a separate entrance ticket and costs $35 per person). In the afternoon, you’ll catch a two hour train back to Ollantaytambo, followed by a bus back to Cusco, where we will transfer you to your hotel.
- End tour Lares Trek 3D/2N.
WHAT IS INCLUDED FOR LARES TREK?
- Collection from your hotel in the morning of trek departure.
- Transport from Cusco to the trailhead at the beginning of the trek in private car.
- Entry fee to Machu Picchu (If you wish to climb Huayna Picchu its $15 extra, please advise at booking)
- Professional guide.
- Tents – 2 people in a 4 person tent which allows for greater comfort, and also storage of backpacks.
- Basic foam mattress. If you require greater comfort during the trek we can hire you an inflatable mattress (eg. Thermarest) .
- Cook and Cooking equipment (Assistants are provided for larger groups)
- Toilet tent
- Meals as indicated in the itinerary (optional vegetarian food). Our professional cooks prepare meals that incorporate elements of the western diet and also traditional Peruvian delicacies. (Please communicate with your guide/cook during the trek if you have a preference for certain types of dishes). Salads, if served, are washed in boiled water.
- Horses (for equipment and personal items) including horsemen. They carry camping equipment, food and kitchen utensils. We provide duffel bags at your briefing for your personal items (up to 7 kg/15lbs per person).
- 1 emergency horse which can be ridden if you are feeling ill or if are a little slower
- Dining tent with camp tables and chairs & Kitchen tent for the cook to prepare meals
- Tents for our staff to sleep in
- First aid kit including emergency oxygen bottle
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED FOR LARES TREK?
- Breakfast on the first morning.
- Dinner on the last night.
- Sleeping bags – If you haven’t got a sleeping bag or you don’t want the hassle of bringing one all the way to Peru with you, then we have sleeping bags for hire.
- Tips for the guide, cook and porters
- Additional horses for passengers luggage.
YOU SHOULD BRING:
- A light day pack with a change of clothes for the whole period of the trek – prepare for a vast range of changes in temperature.
- Rain gear (jacket and pants if available) or rain poncho. Plastic ponchos can be bought for about $1 in Cusco .
- Strong footwear, waterproof trekking boots recommended. Extra socks are a must.
- Sandals or plastic slip on thongs are also good to give your feet a chance to breath in the evenings if you wish to carry them.
- Warm clothes, including jacket, fleeces, gloves, scarf and beanie/touk. Thermal clothing is also recommended, especially for sleeping.
- Sleeping bag (we can hire these to you)
- Torch/ Flashlight and spare batteries.
- Camera, films and batteries (batteries consume more quickly under cold conditions)
- Hat or cap to protect you from the sun, rain and cold.
- Sun block.
- After-sun cream or hydrating cream for face and body.
- Insect repellent – minimum recommended 20% DEET – although no malaria risk has been reported.
- Toilet paper, pack in & pack out.
- Snacks: biscuits, energy bars, chocolate, raw fruits, muesli, etc.
- Non-disposable canteen (Nalgene type) and water for the first morning.
- We advise you to bring water sterilizing tablets in case you collect water from streams.
- Your own medical kit with any special medications that you might require, paracetamol, second skin for blisters etc.
- Small towel or sarong.
- Bathers/swimsuit (if you intend on swimming in hot springs )
- Cash sufficient for snacks, tips and souvenirs.
- Original passport & ISIC (International Student Identity Card) if you have one.
- Walking sticks or poles (we can hire these to you. Please note poles with metal tips cannot be carried into Machu Picchu and should be left at your hotel on the final day)
Price per person for Lares Trek $ 450
Sleeping Bag US$30
Walking Pole US$15 per pair per trek
Air Mattress US$25
Single Tent Supplement US$35